A Delaware County woman has died as a result of the COVID-19 coronavirus, the Delaware General Health District announced Monday, March 30.
The 60-year-old woman, who died in the intensive care unit at the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, is the first COVID-19 victim from Delaware County, according to the health district.
Health commissioner Shelia Hiddleson said district staffers were "extremely saddened" to learn of the woman's death.
"We are particularly concerned with residents 60 years of age or older and those with underlying health issues who are more at risk of developing serious health issues due to COVID-19," she said.
"That's why it is more important than ever that every resident do their part to slow the spread by taking appropriate measures to prevent and contain the spread of the virus in our community.”
The health district is reminding residents to take precautions, including:
• Practice social distancing of 6 feet or more.
• Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
• Cover your coughs and sneezes.
• Stay at home if you are sick.
• Avoid exposure to others who are sick.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Get adequate sleep and eat well-balanced meals to ensure a healthy immune system.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.