This photo, looking southwest from above Grandview Heights toward downtown Columbus, shows Olentangy River Road running from left to right in the center of the picture, with the trees lining the river.
Just west of the road and east of the railroad tracks is an open space.
The area was used as a community garden that provided food to poor families around the Great Depression.
In the mid-1940s, just before this photo was taken, it was known as Goodale Field and held baseball diamonds.
In 1952, Columbus City Council renamed it Gowdy Field after Columbus baseball player and war veteran Hank Gowdy.
From 1964 through the mid-1980s, Columbus used the field as a "clean" landfill before being covered over. In 2005, a study determined the 25-acre space could be used as commercial office space and a recreational area for the Harrison West neighborhood.
Time Warner Cable became the first new office tower on the site, followed by Ohio State University's Eye and Ear Institute and the Stefanie Spielman Comprehensive Breast Center.
At the far left center is the Third Avenue bridge; just below are the four silos of Murray City Coal and Ice on Edgehill Drive.