Excerpts from the Grandview Heights/Marble Cliff Historical Society publication "Sheltering a Heritage" show this house at 1226 Broadview Ave. was built for Elizabeth Ohnsman in 1892.
Her husband, John, a local farmer, died a year earlier, leaving Elizabeth and her six children to fend for themselves.
Records indicate the house was the only one on Broadview for nearly a decade before others were built south of First Avenue. The date of this photo is unknown, but it shows an addition that reportedly was added to the back of the original structure. Elizabeth's youngest child, John Levi, built his home and office nearby, on the northeast corner of West First and Broadview, now the site of National City Bank. John Levi was a prominent cement contractor.
The 1930 edition of "History of Franklin County" states that practically all of the sidewalks in Grandview and Upper Arlington were built by his firm.