Update 11:50 P.M.: After a brief standoff with police, protesters continued through the Short North and into the University District.

Police never stopped the dwindling group of protesters, numbering only about 40 people compared with thousands that marched during the day, as they continued on High Street past 9th Avenue.

Cars continued to follow the protest as it traveled north, honking as protesters chanted "whose streets, our streets" and "no justice, no peace."

Update 10:45 P.M.: After leaving protesters alone for most of the evening, police now are trying to block vehicles from continuing on the march up High Street in the Short North.

It is the biggest police presence of the evening.

They are forcing cars to turn onto Goodale while allowing the remain marchers, who now number a few hundred, to continue to move north on High Street.

Update 10 P.M.: Protesters returned Downtown from the Ohio State University campus and gathered at the intersection of Broad and High streets.

They ignored the 10 p.m. curfew, but there was no visible police presence to break up the thousands of demonstrators who remained. A few minutes later, they cleared the intersection and began walking back up High Street.

When they returned Downtown initially, they began to disperse, but a man took a megaphone on top of a car and encouraged them to stay.

Protesters, meanwhile, continued to chant "our streets" and "Black lives matter."

Update 8:40 P.M.: Protesters stopped their march north at the intersection of High Street and Lane Avenue, turning back south onto Summit Street to return Downtown.

They chanted "no justice, no peace," and "what’s his name, George Floyd" as some walked past homes on Summit while others rode in the backs of slow-moving pickup trucks and a large moving truck.

At the same time, the quiet was broken on the Statehouse grounds as disparate groups of protesters sitting in the grass were called by a chant of "black lives matter" to the state seal near the west steps.

One woman used a megaphone to encourage protesters to walk past road blocks police had set up to stop Downtown traffic. She also said there are "no time limits" on protests as a citywide curfew approached.

Protesters chanted back the name Tyre King, a 13-year-old who was shot and killed by Columbus police in 2016.

UPDATE 8 P.M.: The crowd of protesters marched through the Short North, past the dinner crowd eating on patios outside and into the Ohio State University area.

At the intersection of High and Goodale streets, they walked past police cruisers without any response from officers.

It was unclear where the protesters were marching.

UPDATE 7:25 P.M.: After a smaller crowd demonstrated in Downtown Columbus on Thursday night, Friday brought the return of a much larger group to protest the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

Thousands of protesters started marching north on High Street from the Ohio Statehouse just after 7 p.m. on Friday, spreading out across the whole street after traffic was stopped Downtown.

They walked north on High Street before turning west on Spring Street, where they were met by several police cruisers and Ohio National Guard military vehicles. But neither the police nor the members of the guard stopped the protesters, who chanted as they walked past the vehicles.

The crowd turned north onto Front Street and continued past Nationwide Boulevard and into the Short North.

After mostly being concentrated Downtown, protests started fanning out to other areas of the city this week.

ORIGINAL STORY: Protests in Downtown Columbus over the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis were largely peaceful Friday evening.

Protesters, most of them wearing black, marched from the Ohio Statehouse to Columbus police headquarters and back as they stood, fists raised, on the Statehouse lawn.

Just after 6 p.m., organizers standing near the statue of President William McKinley on the west side of Capital Square blew whistles, and protesters stood up from their knees to raise their fists in the air.

frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen>

They chanted phrases that have become familiar in Downtown Columbus since protests erupted last week: "black lives matter," "no justice no peace," and "no more murder."

They sang "Happy Birthday" to Breonna Taylor, who was shot and killed by plainclothes Louisville police in March.

"We need to shine a brighter light," North Side resident Ramon Beedles told the gathered demonstrators.

Protesters then began an extended march from the Statehouse to the Ohio State University campus.

"I just want my family to live," said Jordan Murph, 28, of Columbus, as he walked.

Another demonstrator, Greg Thompson, 23, of Columbus, said he too is frustrated with the police.

"We’re just tired of of the things that are going on," he said.

Before the protesters marched to police headquarters, Mayor Andrew J. Ginther mingled among them. On Thursday, about 100 protesters demonstrated outside Ginther’s house on the Northwest Side.

After multiple clashes between police and protesters last weekend and earlier this week, the law enforcement presence outside the Statehouse was tamped down. Columbus police officers sat in cruisers on the north side of Broad Street, and Ohio State Highway Patrol troopers stood guard on the Statehouse steps.

Early in the day, none of them wore the riot gear officers donned during earlier protests as they used pepper spray, tear gas and wooden bullets to disperse crowds.

Earlier in the day on Friday, Ginther announced that a police oversight panel would be appointed.

Downtown streets were closed to all but emergency traffic around 6:40 p.m. A 10 p.m. curfew remains in place.

It wasn’t until after curfew, at about 10:40 p.m., that protesters met significant resistance from police. As a crowd of hundreds of protesters crossed Goodale on High Street, police in riot gear formed a line and cruisers were used to block a trail of cars following the protesters.

Police directed the vehicles onto eastbound Goodale as protesters on foot chanted at the line of police in riot gear. One protester tossed a bottle of water that landed in the space between the protesters and police, but police did not use force to disperse the crowd as it continued north on High Street.