Gus Amicon (above, in white apron) stands outside the Amicon Market in 1938 waiting to be interviewed by a local radio station for a Taystee Bread promotion.
Gus and his brother, Rocco, immigrated to the United States in the early 1920s and built the store at the corner of Fairview and Fifth avenues in 1930.
Starting with an inventory of only vegetables and fruits, the brothers soon added refrigeration and became known throughout the city as having some of the best meats in town.
A chicken coop behind the store provided fresh birds, and steaks and bacon were cut fresh daily.
In 1931, Rocco and his family moved into one of the two apartments on the second floor; Gus lived in the other.
In 1940, Gus opened his own store at First Avenue and Oxley Road, and in 1946, Rocco opened a popular restaurant in an addition next door.
The restaurant closed in 1956, the store in 1958, and Gus retired from his store in 1969. The 1930 building now is occupied by One More Time clothing store.