The Hilliard Division of Police is reminding residents they can reduce crime by locking vehicles' doors after one was stolen and possessions were taken from another in the same residential area.
A 2014 sedan worth $9,000 was reported stolen between 12:30 and 11 a.m. July 1 from the 4500 block of Ava Point.
The owner told police a spare key was left inside another vehicle, said police spokeswoman Andrea Litchfield.
That vehicle also had been searched, Litchfield said.
As of July 9, the stolen vehicle had not been recovered.
In addition, a resident on the 5200 block of Sara Way told police her unlocked vehicle was searched and items worth $670 -- including sunglasses, binoculars and an ammunition magazine -- were stolen.
The theft on Sara Way occurred between 1:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. on July 1.
Sara Way is in the same residential complex as Ava Point.
Litchfield said residents can prevent such "crimes of opportunity" by removing valuables from vehicles and locking doors.
"Don't leave keys or garage-door openers inside your vehicle," she said.
In other recent Hilliard police incident reports:
* A robbery was reported at a gas station and convenience store on Cemetery Road at 5:30 p.m. July 2.
A man implied he had a gun and demanded money from the cash register at the Certified, 4546 Cemetery Road, according to police. No one was injured during the robbery.
* A burglary was reported between 3 p.m. June 24 and 3 p.m. June 25 at a residence on the 4900 block of Scioto Darby Road.
Money and coconut oil were reported stolen. Property loss was reported at $17,250.
No signs of forced entry were observed. After returning to the residence, the victim discovered missing cash and coconut oil, police said.
* A firearm in a leather holster was reported stolen between 8:20 p.m. June 28 and 6:20 a.m. June 29 from a vehicle parked on the 5600 block of Medinah Drive. Property loss was reported at $350.
* A chainsaw, a hedge trimmer, a mower and a gasoline container were reported stolen between 2 p.m. June 25 and 11 a.m. June 27 during a breaking-and-entering incident on the 3500 block of Mark Twain Drive. Property loss was reported at $1,040.
* A smartphone worth $799 was reported stolen between 6:30 and 6:55 p.m. June 30 from the 4600 block of Cosgray Road.
* A core-drill rig, a diamond-core bit, a pole pruner and a gas-powered cold-water pressure washer were reported stolen between 1 p.m. June 17 and 9:35 a.m. July 1 from a business on the 4000 block of Parkway Lane. Property loss was reported at $5,313.
* Blank checks, cash, a book bag, a textbook and a wallet containing a driver's license and benefit card were reported stolen between 8:30 p.m. July 1 and 7 a.m. July 2 from a vehicle parked on the 5000 block of Landview Drive. Property loss was reported at $402.
* A 19-year-old woman was arrested for misdemeanor possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia at 12:50 a.m. June 26 at Scioto Darby Road and Cavalier Drive.
* A 23-year-old man was arrested for disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor, at 2:30 a.m. June 27 on the 4000 block of Main Street.
* A 40-year-old man was arrested for misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia at 4:35 p.m. June 29 at Hilliard-Rome and Roberts roads.
* A 23-year-old man was arrested for misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance and drug abuse and a 23-year-old man was arrested for misdemeanor possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia at 2:35 a.m. July 4 at Cemetery Road and Trueman Boulevard.
* A 50-year-old man was arrested for misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia at 4:30 p.m. July 4 at Cemetery Road and Interstate 270.
* A 21-year-old man was arrested for felony trafficking in drugs at 9:45 p.m. July 4 on the 3600 block of Main Street.