The second-seeded Worthington Kilbourne High School boys lacrosse team scored four of the game’s final five goals to defeat top-seeded Upper Arlington 8-7 in the Division I, Region 3 final May 25 at Fortress Obetz.

“This is incredible. We’ve wanted this opportunity all season and we got it and now we’re going to state,” said Wolves sophomore Will Alban, who scored the winning goal with 4 minutes, 27 seconds remaining. “It was a perfect ground ball by Ryan Weslowski and a great take up the field and a great look by Carson Kott that got me open for the shot. It was a team effort.”

Kilbourne, which fended off the Golden Bears in the game’s waning minutes, improved to 17-5 and advanced to play Cincinnati St. Xavier in a state semifinal May 30 at Dayton Chaminade Julienne.

“Pretty amazing,” Kilbourne coach Mike Lippert said. “At halftime, I told the kids we were in this place before (in a 6-5 loss to UA in a regular-season game April 14), but this time we were going to finish it. We stuck to the game plan and our defense has played well all season, so we were in a good spot at the end when they had the ball with 22 seconds left.

“It’s not often we beat Arlington, so we’re going to enjoy this. They have such a great tradition and program over there. I thought (goalkeeper Dane Jackson) played very, very well and I’m just so proud of all of them.”

UA, which finished 19-3, led 3-0 in the first quarter, 5-4 at halftime and 6-5 entering the fourth quarter.

Kott tied the game off an assist from Jake LeVette and Biglin scored off an assist from Nick Clay to give the Wolves a 7-6 lead with 7:01 left. The Bears tied the game on Harry Baker’s goal with 6:13 left before Alban scored the final goal while in transition following a UA turnover.

“They took advantage of one of our turnovers and we had two or three chances in the final minutes and didn’t take advantage of them,” UA coach Chris Olson said. “It was a good game from two great teams and we came up short and you have tip your cap to Kilbourne.”

Kott, Wesolowski and Biglin all scored two goals for the Wolves. Baker and Charlie Little both scored two goals for the Bears.

Dublin Coffman 9, Olentangy Liberty 5

For the first time since 2002, Coffman is headed to a state semifinal.

The top-seeded Shamrocks built a 6-0 lead in the Division I, Region 1 final May 25 at Otterbein and didn’t let second-seeded Liberty back in the game, as they improved to 20-1 and advanced to play Cleveland St. Ignatius in a state semifinal May 30 at Wooster.

The Patriots cut their deficit to 6-3 in the third quarter before Coffman increased the lead back to 8-3.

“We knew it would be between faceoffs and goalie play, and we took care of both,” Shamrocks coach Shane Comisford said.

Wyatt Bartlett won seven of eight first-half faceoffs to help set the tone for the Shamrocks. He also had six ground balls.

Offensively, Cam Bowdy had three goals and three assists and Luke Holland, Nick Harris and Evan James each scored two goals for Coffman. Goalie Dom Elmo saved six of 11 shots for the Shamrocks.

Johnny Wiseman and Aidan Kenley both scored two goals and John Paolo scored one for the Patriots, who finished 14-8.

“They’re a good team, a fast team, and we were lucky to be (down) 6-0 (at halftime), quite honestly,” Liberty coach Jason Godwin said.

—Jarrod Ulrey