For the third year in a row, Pickerington Central is No. 1 in the Super 7 preseason poll. It should be noted that the past two years, the Tigers did not end the year atop the poll, finishing second last year and third in 2016. Well, they did win the Division I state title last year so that more than evens it out. No. 2 Pickerington North and No. 3 Olentangy Liberty were the only other teams to be listed on all 11 ballots. Coincidentally, North and Liberty will meet in the opener Friday. In all, 16 teams received at least one vote.
Below is the poll as selected by ThisWeekSPORTS.com staff. A unanimous selection is 77 points:
1. Pickerington Central (14-1 last season), 76 points, 10 first-place votes. Opener: Sunday vs. Chicago Phillips Academy at Otterbein
2. Pickerington North (10-3), 63 points, one first-place vote. Opener: Friday vs. Olentangy Liberty
3. Olentangy Liberty (11-3), 55 points. Opener: Friday at Pickerington North
4. Hilliard Bradley (11-1), 30 points. Opener: Friday vs. Findlay
5. Olentangy Orange (9-2), 28 points. Opener: Friday vs. Worthington Kilbourne
6. Hartley (11-2), 21 points. Opener: Friday at Toledo Central Catholic
7. Dublin Coffman (8-3), 20 points. Opener: Friday vs. Perrysburg
Also receiving votes: Reynoldsburg 5, Olentangy 2, Hilliard Davidson 2, Canal Winchester 1, DeSales 1, Dublin Jerome 1, Dublin Scioto 1, Upper Arlington 1, Walnut Ridge 1.