After a bit of a slow start, the three-time defending state champion Thomas Worthington High School field hockey team dominated the last 15 minutes of the first half to pull away from Worthington Kilbourne on its way to a 7-1 victory in a district final Oct. 27 at Olentangy Liberty.

The second-seeded Cardinals improved to 18-1 and advanced to play Hudson in a state semifinal Nov. 2 at Upper Arlington, while the third-seeded Wolves finished 14-3-2.

“We knew Kilbourne would come out aggressive and go for every ball,” Thomas coach Terri Simonetti Frost said. “We finally settled in around the 20-minute mark and Sarah (Charley) got the first goal and we just played very well from that point on.”

Charley scored four goals in the game, including two in the first half as the Cardinals built a 3-0 lead. She got Thomas on the board with 14:21 left and Anneliese Sinclair scored with 9:04 remaining mark before Charley scored her second goal 59 seconds later.

Charley added two goals in the second half and Leila Boussedra and Bella Avila also scored as the Cardinals stretched their lead to 7-0 before the Wolves’ Gracie Burford scored on a penalty shot with four minutes remaining.

Kilbourne, which was making its first appearance in a district final, had the better of play for the first 10 minutes of the game.

The Cardinals also beat the Wolves during the regular season, winning 4-1 on Oct. 8.

Columbus Academy 1, Watterson 0

The undefeated and top-seeded Vikings survived a scare from the fourth-seeded Eagles in a district final Oct. 27 at Liberty.

Academy improved to 19-0 and advanced to play Cincinnati Ursuline in a state semifinal Nov. 2 at UA. The winner plays Thomas or Hudson in the state final Nov. 3 at UA.

Kiersten Thomassey scored the game’s lone goal and goalkeeper Alex Phelps had six saves to lead the Vikings.

“We missed an open cage, which doesn’t help,” Academy coach Anne Horton said. “We had a couple good chances and couldn’t convert. We’re happy that we did what we needed to do and moved forward.”

Goalie Maria Pardi had four saves for Watterson, which finished 14-4-1.

—Frank DiRenna