With one week to play, Pickerington Central and Groveport are tied for first in the Super 7 poll. The Tigers were second and the Cruisers were third last week, but they vaulted to the top of the rankings after previous No. 1 Olentangy Liberty suffered its first loss of the season against Olentangy Orange, which climbed two spots to No. 3 while the Patriots tumbled to fourth. Central technically has a slim lead on Groveport considering it holds a 6-4 edge in first-place votes. The Cruisers, however, have the edge on the field, defeating the Tigers 19-14 on Sept. 20. The other first-place vote went to Orange. Liberty’s loss also ended up dropping Hartley one spot to fifth while DeSales and Dublin Coffman remain sixth and seventh, respectively.
Below is the poll as selected by ThisWeekSPORTS.com writers. A unanimous selection is 77 points:
1, tie. Pickerington Central (8-1), 70 points, six first-place votes. Last game: Defeated Reynoldsburg 40-14. Next game: Friday at Grove City. Last week: No. 2
1, tie. Groveport (8-1), 70 points, four first-place votes. Last game: Def. Big Walnut 49-0. Next game: Friday at New Albany. Last week: No. 3.
3. Olentangy Orange (8-1), 55 points, one first-place vote. Last game: Def. Olentangy Liberty 10-7. Next game: Friday at Westerville South. Last week: No. 5.
4. Olentangy Liberty (8-1), 40 points. Last game: Lost to Olentangy Liberty 10-7. Next game: Friday vs. Westerville North. Last week: No. 1
5. Hartley (8-1), 38 points. Last game: Def. Dayton Belmont 44-6. Next game: Thursday vs. DeSales. Last week: No. 4
6. DeSales (8-1), 14 points. Last game: Def. Steubenville 30-18. Next game: Thursday at Hartley. Last week: No. 6
7. Dublin Coffman (7-2), 13 points. Last game: Def. Westland 44-12. Next game: Friday at Upper Arlington. Last week: No. 7
Also receiving votes: Walnut Ridge 6, Dublin Jerome 1, Pickerington North 1
Dropped out: None