Gov. Mike DeWine says announcement coming Tuesday on high school sports
Gov. Mike DeWine plans to make an announcement Tuesday, Aug. 18, regarding what will take place this fall for the contact sports of football, field hockey and boys and girls soccer.
DeWine revealed the timeline while answering a reporter’s question during a COVID-19 press conference Thursday, Aug. 13.
While the non-contact sports of boys and girls cross country, boys and girls golf, girls tennis and girls volleyball previously were approved for contests between opposing teams, contact sports haven’t received that approval.
Once protocols from the governor’s office and the Ohio Department of Health are approved, games could begin in boys and girls soccer and field hockey on Aug. 21, while football teams would be allowed to begin playing the week of Aug. 24.
“We’re going to have an announcement on Tuesday that the lieutenant governor (Jon Husted) and I are going to make on high school sports,” DeWine said. “We’ve been working with the Ohio High School Athletic Association to get it right, to provide guidelines to make it as safe as possible and I have a great deal of confidence in the coaches out there. We’re going to set up a call and hope to talk to coaches over the next few days. They have the opportunity to not just impress on their athletes the importance of keeping their distance and being safe but that it’s also important for what young people do when they’re not playing. We always look to coaches for leadership. Fighting the pandemic is the most important part of their job.”
DeWine also referenced fans attending games.
“A little preview is that this (decision on whether to compete) is going to be made by parents and made by schools. We’re going to restrict the number of fans. We want the athletes to compete and the young people to have their season. We want them to do it as safely as possible. We want to make sure the parents can get there and it means a lot to that child to have an opportunity to see them play.”