Gov. Mike DeWine says contact sports can "move forward"

JARROD ULREY
julrey@thisweeknews.com
Olentangy Orange football coach Zebb Schroeder conducts practice Aug. 17 while wearing a face covering. Gov. Mike DeWine announced Aug. 18 that all fall sports can "move forward."

In a long-anticipated announcement Aug. 18, Gov. Mike DeWine said all fall sports can "move forward."

The state had previously approved competition in non-contact sports. DeWine's announcement clears the way for the contact sports of football, field hockey and soccer to hold competitions.

DeWine said there won't be spectators at events other than family members or people who are very close to the athletes.

"Our order will provide that all sports may go forward this fall," he said. "It will lay out the road map on how it will take place and what has to be done to make it as safe as possible."

DeWine also said that schools will have the option of moving contact sports from fall to spring.

State leaders realize that contact sports increase the the risk of getting the COVID-19 coronavirus and the spread in the community will be reflected in the school, DeWine said.

"We know the importance of sports," he said. "Sports matter. It makes a difference."

Referring to the state's order, DeWine said: "The caveat is, like anything in life, it will depend on how it's executed."

This is a developing story. Check back to ThisWeekSPORTS.com for updates.

julrey@thisweeknews.com

@UlreyThisWeek