German Village: Man confronts burglar who steals wallet
A burglar was confronted by a homeowner at 9:19 a.m. July 4 on the 100 block of Liberty Street but still managed to steal a $300 wallet containing personal identification and a credit card, according to Columbus Division of Police incident reports.
The resident told police he left the house to walk the dogs and left the door unlocked while another resident was sleeping inside, according to reports.
The person returned to the residence and found the front door ajar and the burglar inside the house.
The person yelled at the intruder, who grabbed the wallet and fled the scene, reports said.
In other recent incident reports:
* A man said he was a victim of extortion at 12:01 a.m. June 29 by a woman after he took part in a compromising video posted on the internet, according to reports.
The man, who lives on the 600 block of South Ninth Street, said he met the woman on a dating app and then had a livestreaming conversation with her.
He told police she convinced him to conduct some revealing behavior, to which he complied, and then she said she saved the footage and told him to pay her $500 or she would release it.
He wired her $200 before contacting police.
* At 1:17 a.m. July 6, someone broke into a business on the 800 block of South High Street and stole $500 from the cash register and $150 worth of liquor and caused $500 worth of damage to the business.
* At 12:01 a.m. July 5, a woman who said she complained to a group of people who were lighting off fireworks had her hands slapped during the confrontation on the 300 block of East Mithoff Street, causing her phone to fall on the ground.
* A $1,700 TV and $500 computer were stolen between 5 p.m. July 1 and 8 a.m. July 7 from a residence on the first block of West Whittier Street.
* An irate person who was refused service at 2:30 p.m. July 2 at a store on the 1200 block of South High Street went outside and caused $100 in damage to flowers and pots outside the business.
* A man who said he was bathing in the Scioto River at 3:01 p.m. July 6 on the 200 block of Greenlawn Avenue said he was confronted by another man who accused him of taking his kayak.
The man said his accuser caused minor bruising to his right shin.
The man said he defended himself and struck the other man several times.
An emergency-medicial-services unit was called, but the man refused treatment.
* A $70 leaf blower and $200 bicycle were stolen between 9:15 and 9:45 a.m. June 24 from a garage on the 800 block of Ebner Street.
* A motorcycle was stolen at 3:15 a.m. June 28 from the bed of a pickup truck on the 100 block of East Whittier Street.
* An automobile was stolen between 8 p.m. June 25 and 9 a.m. June 26 from the 300 block of East Stewart Avenue.
* Merchandise valued at $7,000 was stolen between 5 p.m. June 26 and 2:32 p.m. June 27 from a vehicle in the 100 block of East Gates Street.
* Someone broke the rear windows of the vehicle between 5 p.m. June 26 to 2:32 p.m. June 27 in the 100 block of East Gates Street, causing $1,000 worth of damage, and stole $200 cash, $800 worth of keys to a motorcycle and house, a key to a vintage car valued at $2,000, a $2,400 set of golf clubs, $250 long board, $300 pair of running shoes, a $900 watch and a $150 charger.