OPINION

Moment in Time

ThisWeek group
This flyer features brothers Conn Baker and Arnon Baker, who were among the many cyclists competing in races Sept. 7, 1896, at the Driving Park racetrack. Conn Baker was the fifth-fastest cyclist in the country. Hundreds of fans attended to cheer on their favorite “crackerjacks” – a term used for top cyclists at the time. The track opened in August 1892 with horse racing and closed in December 1925. In 1926, the neighborhood began to form with the construction of homes.