OPINION

Moment in Time

ThisWeek group
The second Neil House hotel was across High Street from the Ohio Statehouse in downtown Columbus. Its proximity to the state’s capitol ensured it was frequented by politicians, but the Neil House also was host to other such notable visitors as Charles Dickens and Jenny Lind. The first Neil House, built by Columbus resident William Neil, stood at the site for 20 years before being destroyed by fire Nov. 6, 1860. Despite sustaining heavy financial losses, Neil was determined to rebuild, completing this second hotel nearly two years later in September 1862. In 1925 it was replaced by a third version, which had 13 floors and was closed in 1980 to allow for construction of the Huntington Center.