OPINION

Moment in Time

ThisWeek group
As the city of Columbus grew, so did its need for a larger prison. Construction on the facility next to the Scioto River on West Town Street was completed Dec. 29, 1879. With multiple turrets on its façade, the building looked more like a castle than a prison. Forty years later, the building already had passed its prime and the city was considering razing it when a 1920 fire in its attic forced the issue. The parts of the prison that weren’t destroyed by fire were demolished the following year.