OPINION

Moment in Time

ThisWeek group
One of the most unusual buildings in Columbus opened April 18, 1896, at 379 W. Broad St., on the city’s west side. The Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Depot was designed by local architects Joseph W. Yost and Frank L. Packard and featured a pagoda-style tower, and it served as a passenger station until 1930. The Volunteers of America purchased the building the following year and used it for offices and a thrift store until 2003. The building, which has survived two fires and two floods, has served as the home of the Columbus Firefighters Union since 2007.