COLUMNS

Moment in Time

ThisWeek group
The growth of Columbus was looking up April 1, 1895, when the Wyandotte Building opened at 21 W. Broad St. The 11-story structure, designed by renowned Chicago architect Daniel Burnham, was billed as the city’s first skyscraper and consisted of a steel skeleton frame covered with masonry. Its vertical rows of bay windows, a Burnham trademark, provided light and ventilation. Two decades after construction, the Wyandotte Building was purchased by the state of Ohio, and in 2014, Huntington National Bank bought the building. The Wyandotte Building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.