Moment in Time
Started during the Great Depression, the federal Works Progress Administration provided funds for construction, renovation and other projects across the country until the postwar boom in 1943.
In Grandview Heights, the WPA was responsible for constructing, renovating and maintaining school buildings and grounds.
The program earmarked $28,000 for the construction of a new stadium on the athletic field north of the high school on the condition that the district could contribute $3,000 toward the effort.
The top photo shows WPA workers erecting a barbed-wire fence at the site.
They are standing at the northwest corner of Fairview and Third avenues.
The bottom photo shows the athletic field just prior to construction of the stadium.
The 1,250-seat stadium was completed and dedicated Oct. 7, 1938.
The construction was not without considerable political drama and controversy, including additional demands from the federal government.
For more information, go to the "History of the Grandview Schools" link at the historical society's website, ghmchs.org.