Colorado Rockies at Houston Astros odds, picks and best bets
The Colorado Rockies (13-8) visit the Houston Astros (11-10) start a two-game series Monday at Houston's Minute Maid Park. First pitch is slated for 9:10 p.m. ET.
We analyze the Rockies-Astros' MLB betting odds and lines, with picks and best bets.
Rockies at Astros: Projected starting pitchers
LHP Kyle Freeland at RHP Brandon Bielak
Freeland's 2020 stats: 2-0, 2.45 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 13:7 K:BB in 4 GS (25 2/3 IP)
- Freeland has worked slightly more effectively on the road (3.93 ERA) than at Coors Field (4.17), and Minute Maid Park generally leans toward pitchers.
- Of course, Freeland's lack of strikeouts makes him a dangerous proposition for long-term trust, especially against an Astros offense that - while still a bit less potent than in recent years (ahem, Jose Altuve) - remains a top-10 offense versus lefties ( .822 OPS this year).
Bielak's 2020 stats: 2-0, 1.76 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, 11:7 K:BB in 4 G/2 GS (15 1/3 IP)
- Like Freeland, Bielak hasn't shown much dominance and struggled with walks, but at least he has a capable bullpen behind him.
Rockies at Astros: Key injuries
(Get the latest injury news here.)
- OF Chris Owings (hamstring) questionable
- RP Carlos Estevez (hand) questionable
- RP Wade Davis (shoulder) out
- RP Scott Oberg (back) out for season
- OF Ian Desmond (personal) opted out of 2020 season
- DH Yordan Alvarez (knee) questionable
- OF Michael Brantley (quadriceps) out
- RP Roberto Osuna (elbow) out
Also see: BaseballHQ Fantasy Baseball
Rockies at Astros: Odds, lines, picks and betting tips
Astros 8, Rockies 4
Colorado will fail to score often in this pitcher-friendly park, but Houston will single-handedly raise Freeland's ERA. The Astros have won four straight games.
And even with Brantley on the injured list and Alvarez questionable, Kyle Tucker looks ready to finally cash in on his top-prospect status with more playing time, and Alex Bregman continues to carry the top half of the order.
- Rockies (+135)
- Astros (-150)
Because the return isn't as great as expected on a more evenly matched game than the books give credit for, PASS on the moneyline and focus instead on the run line.
- Rockies +1.5 (-150)
- Astros -1.5 (+125)
Here's where you can maximize Houston's homefield advantage. Though they're 10-11 overall against the spread, they're 6-6 on the run line and 8-4 straight-up at home. BET ASTROS -1.5 (+125).
New to sports betting? A winning $10 bet on the Astros' run line -1.5 (+125) would return a profit of $12.50.
- Over 9.5 (-110)
- Under 9.5 (-110)
PASS on the default Over/Under marks and pivot to BET Over 10.5 (+110). Bielak and Freeland are in for harsh corrections to their smoke-and-mirrors success on the mound so far.
New to sports betting? A winning $10 bet on the Over 10.5 (+110) would return a profit of $11.
Gannett may earn revenue from audience referrals to betting services. Newsrooms are independent of this relationship and there is no influence on news coverage.
Like this article?
Sign up for the USA TODAY Sportsbook Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning
An error has occured
Please re-enter your email address.
Thanks for signing up!
You'll now receive the top USA TODAY Sportsbook Wire stories each day directly in your inbox.